Sunday, April 15, 2012

Chick Flicks to Compromise On

I'm dedicating this post to my wife. Tomorrow is our two year anniversary (Aww...). I think it's quite clear that growing up movies were kinda a big deal to me. They were both a way to relax and unwind while also inspire and encourage. I always thought I'd marry someone that was just as big a movie buff as me... thank GOODNESS I didn't!! But let's face it people, in most relationships today your gonna watch movies together... a lot. So the key is compromise! Guys, if you can't learn to sit through a chick flick or two, love is gonna be a hard experience for ya. And ladies, you have to understand that some chick flicks have to be reserved for the ladies night out... they're just too sappy!

That is where this list comes in. This is a list of chick flicks that I actually enjoy watching with my wife (Guys, it's nice to have at least ten so you aren't watching Pride and Prejudice every Friday night. Options, brethren! It's all about the options!) So, if you gentlemen are looking to score points with your lovely sometime soon, suggest one of these. Or ladies, if you just can't take any more trips through middle earth, ask to watch one of these and tell your man you hear guys actually like it ;) Good luck!

1. Hitch: This one it kinda easy cause it's just as much comedy as it is a chick flick. Guys can watch it and think, "Man, I've got all those skills, I should be getting paid to teach them to hopeless guys!" Ladies can watch and think, "My goodness, love really can solve all problems and follows no rules!" Can I just say that I love the part when Will Smith is behind the door while Kevin James is talking to the girl, and she asks for a pen and Will slips it into his jacket... I die laughing every time!
2. Return to Me: Guys, I'm appealing to your heart on this one. I'm guessing if you're in a healthy relationship then you understand the connection you feel with the person you love and how gut wrenching it would be to lose her unexpectedly. Being willing to risk it all again would be rough. This movie is a must see for the sensitive man. I'm not afraid to admit it... I cried like a baby the first two or three times I watched. 
3. P.S. I Love You: My lovely wife introduced me to this one. What makes it great is that it is definitely not your typical love story. I was pleasantly surprised at the twist on traditional love stories.  It's got just the right amount humor to keep the guys watching. Ladies, if you still have a hard time convincing your guy, tell him they talk like Braveheart through a lot of the movie. Gets 'em every time!
4. No Reservations: This movie has the same effect as Ratatouille on me. Every time I watch it, I want to cook something. So if your guy likes to cook (I know, not that common) this is the chick flick for you. However, if you guy likes to EAT! this movie is also for you. It's a win-win. Bring snacks!
5. You've Got Mail: This is another of my wife's favorite that I love too. It's the perfect love story for the modern social network age. Trust me guys, they quote The God Father in here quite a bit. Ladies, it's probably best you just tell your guys this is the sequel to Joe vs. The Volcano if they're reluctant ;)
6. Life As We Know It: Ladies love it for the baby, guys love it cause Josh Duhamel's character has their dream job. This is a really fun movie that I can't recommend enough. Love, humor, sports... good pick-up lines... but I guess you don't need those if your already in a healthy relationship.
7. One Fine Day: This one will take a special kind of guy to convince because it is more like the typical chick flick. Still, George Clooney is a stud in the movie. Trust me guys you are winning MAJOR brownie points with the lady if you watch this one with them and it's better then Jane Austen. 
8. 500 Days of Summer/ He's Just Not That into You: This is a twofer because I believe anyone who wants to have an understanding of mature relationships in our age needs to watch these movies. Not only are they funny and filmed incredibly, but they also teach you things like don't take continual crap from someone who claims to love you... and don't listen to bad advice just because your best friend's mother's aunt's dog said it worked from them once. 

Well, if all else fails, here are your fail safes.

9. The Princess Bride/ Stardust: COME ON! The Princess Bride!! How can you not love that movie. It's not just a chick flick, it's a comedy! It's action! It's drama! It's "MAWWAGE that bwings us togeva today!" No discussion needed there. For me, if you like Princess Bride, you'll also like Stardust; they have the same elements just with a less classic feel. If you can't compromise with these... you may need counseling...
10. Any Disney Classic: If all else fails, this is really all you got left. Disney! And let's face it, this is a great last resort! You can choose Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast. I'd recommend Tangled because, man, I wish I was as cool as Flynn Rider... You're probably not willing to call them chick flicks but they sure are love stories! If you can't agree on these, unless your married, I suggest you go your separate ways!
Well, there you have it people. Love is an incredible thing, especially when your lucky enough to be married to someone as amazing as my wife is. Why not watch one of these movies and bask in how much better it is in real life than on film!

For all you guys, don't worry! Next week I'll have a list of movies that the ladies need to watch with you if they really wanna call it fair. Happy compromising!

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet! Now all the men can hope to become as smooth as you ;) Love love love you forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great list and I am more than happy to say that Neil doesn't take too much convincing to watch these. Good list, Carl. I approve.

    ReplyDelete