Sunday, April 8, 2012

An Easter Gift: Another Testament of Jesus Christ

I am above all else, a follower of Jesus Christ. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ and know that God has a plan of happiness for me. I know! Those are some bold statements to start out a blog with, especially one that's all about books and movies. But when you boil it down, books and movies are just stories, and I love stories because they help me better understand the philosophy and theology of life. Whether it's a story that shows me why God's principles will make me happy or why ignoring them leads to unhappiness, there are truths that are eternal no matter how much fiction you garnish it with.


The world is moving away from these ideas. It seems to be that faith and belief are no longer things to be admired but rather, out-dated and unsophisticated ideas. Let me just say this and no matter what you say nothing will convince me otherwise. EVERYONE HAS FAITH IN SOMETHING. Yeah I said it. Everyone!  Because nothing in this world can convince you beyond a shadow of a doubt that something is an absolute fact. So you can place your complete trust in God, science, or just an simply an idea; none of it matters if you don't have faith in the source.

So today, in honor of my Savior, I'm going to make the most important reading suggestion of all. I've read the New Testament three of four times straight through and the Gospels four or five more times. I'm ashamed to saying I'm only now working on my second time through the Old Testament. If you haven't read the Bible once, change that! But there is another Testament of Jesus Christ. To be honest I have lost count of how many times I've read it. 

Most people reading this are probably Latter-Day Saint, some of you aren't either way everyone should read The Book of Mormon. I don't care what you've heard about it because you've learned from the age of 4 not to judge a book by its cover. My faith in Jesus Christ as come from this book. My faith in a loving Heavenly Father has come from this book. My faith in what I have to do to return to live with them someday comes from THIS BOOK. I consider myself well read, and I have NEVER read its equal.

But like I said. It all comes down to faith. Without faith it'll just be a compelling 500 page EPIC story. With faith, it has the power to change your life. Ya know its like gravity, I can choose all I want to not believe in gravity, but that wont stop the bruises when you choose to ignore it. You can choose to ignore wise counsel from a loving Heavenly Father, but it wont stop the pain you could avoid. I testify that God lives, that he has a plan for you. I testify, that Jesus Christ is His Son, the Savior and Redeemer of the world. And I testify that both the Bible and the Book of Mormons are their words to us. You've learned to read, you've read to learn, now read to believe.


One more thing! LDS or not. Another great book is Jesus the Christ by James E. Talmage. Its a must read for anyone that wants deep insights into the mortal ministry of Christ and his teachings from the four Gospels. I give it 5 stars!

2 comments: