Monday, October 22, 2012

A Pleasently Dark & Stormy Night

 I remember the first time Alisa and I watched a scary movie together. The movie was The Others if I remember correctly: not an overly scary flick, but it's got it's creep for sure. I use the word "watch" very loosely because I was watching it with her roommates in college and she was trying to think of every distraction she could to avoid looking at the screen. Unfortunately for her, she was doing laundry as one of those distractions, a task required her to walk in and out of the apartment several times. Unfortunately for me, I had no idea just how much she hated being scared. During one of Alisa's trips outside, I decided to have some fun and hide in a closet that she would have to walk by when she came back in.... The second I jumped out she screamed, but at the same instance started punch me and followed that up with a nice quick knee to my tenders. To tell the truth, I'm shocked we can have kid,s and I won't be surprise if Everest holds a grudge against Alisa for the violence she once displayed against him. ;)

I, for one, have grown up to love scary movies. Alisa, on the other hand, not so much. She is so great to me and tries to push her limits every year, but her imagination just wont let her go to far. Luckily there are tons of movies out there that we can compromise on for this time of year. So today I present to you a list of the top ten fun, scary movies that you can watch this Halloween season regardless of the audience. Most of them are old classics because, well, they are CLASSICS and it takes a long time to create one of those. Either way if you are looking to have so fun this Halloween season this is the list for you!

10. Casper
 Let's get this one out there first thing because it is probably the most cliche. It was a tie between this or Ghostbusters. Ghostbusters lost merely on that fact that it's great to watch anytime of year, not just at Halloween. I love the over all feel of this movie, especially the mansion used as the backdrop. It's creepy but in an inviting, adventurous way. Overall, this is a way fun movie to share with the family. You've got your humor, your ghosts, your happy ending... your Lazarus Pit--you know, the basic essentials for a fun Halloween!
 
9. Murder By Death
Has anyone heard of this one? If not, you should at least try it out. You'll either love it or love to hate it. You older kids will love it because it's got the genius of Peter Sellers. You younger kids may like it because it's got Obi-Wan Kenobi and Professor McGonngall. The movie spoofs older detectives; they are all brought together to attempt to solve what their host claims will be a perfect murder. The whole movie, especially the end, is completely ridiculous but still it's good for laughs and you'll more than likely be quoting it afterwards. Sadly, it may be harder to get a hold of. Last year it was on Netflix, but they took it off. You may have to apply your creative capacity for this one, but I'm pretty sure you'll find it well worth it! 

8. The Haunted Mansion
Now I know what your thinking, this movie didn't come any where close to living up to it's potential or the epic awesomeness that is the actual ride. Still this one is good for the families. To put it simply, it's cute. (Man, it's sad that I have to label a movie named after this ride cute...) I know some of the acting was bad, they weren't true enough to the ride, and it was steeped in oddly interpreted Catholic believes, but it does have redeeming qualities. First of all, the house looks amazing! You really have to hand it to the set designers on this one. I would be both excited and nervous to stay in a place like that. Additionally, the references they do make to the ride are fun. Plus, it must be at least a little creepy because Alisa claims it scares her. So at least there's that!

7. Young Frankenstein 
Yes, I know that there is a lot more adult humor in this one, but one can you expect from a Mel Brooks film? This is actually my favorite Mel Brooks' films. (Odd that it's the only one he doesn't really appear in) It's a thousand times better than his other attempt to parody scary movies with high anxiety! If you really want to appreciate this film, you should probably also take the time to go back and watch all the old black and white monster movies from the 40's. Can I just say I still crack up every time the horses whinny because Frau Blucher's name is said even though I have seen it several times. It's a fun classic to put you in the mood for Halloween!


6. The Private Eyes
 Okay, this is another one that many of you have probably never heard of. However, I am about to make you pity your childhood if you haven't. This movie is HILARIOUS. Most of you probably know the Knotts/Conway connection merely through The Apple Dumpling Gang, but I'm going to make the bold claim that his movie is funnier than that one. It's the story of two incompetent detectives that are called to solve the murder of Lord Morley. The task is made more difficult by the creepy and odd array of staff that work at the Morley manor and the evil presence of what is know as "the Shadow." Don't worry, it's really not scary at all, but the humor is not stop in this one. Seriously, if you are looking for a good laugh that will keep you in the spirit of the season, this is one you MUST check out!

5. The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
I think it is only natural that Don Knotts should appear on this list twice. This is one that most of you probably watched as a kid, but it has been a while, so you probably need a refresher! I, for one, wasn't introduced to this movie until just a few years ago, and I'm really sad I didn't get to grow up with it. The concept of the plot is actually pretty adult if you stop to think about it... guy murders his parents, frames the dad, then when a report tries to investigate the house the murder tries to discredit his name... sounds like something John Grisham would write! The humor on the other hand is pure gold for any age. Don Knotts is one of the best physical  comedians from his age, and he proves that in this film. It's a must see to for your Halloween season!


4. Boy Meets World: And Then There Was Shawn
 What's that you say? This isn't a movie? I could not possibly care less. This is a Halloween tradition that Alisa and I will never abandon! Neither of us are really fans of the whole slasher film craze, but we are obsessed with this childhood nostalgia. Seriously, I have been quoting this episode since the day it first aired! If you have never seen this, I feel nothing but pity for you. If you have, you need no more words ;) If some of you out there would like more show episodes, I'd also recommend Psych!

3. Clue
 I'm surprised that more people haven't seen this movie. It's a classic, people! I was actually nervous to show this one to Alisa in the first place because it used to scare me as a wee lad. However, when I finally did show her, I don't think she was able to stop laughing the entire last thirty minutes. I would give almost anything to see a modern attempt at this movie, but I doubt it would ever live up to the original. So if you are looking for a fun Halloween night here's an idea: stop playing the same murder mystery game you've gone through like fifty times just because you dropped 80 bucks on it, play a few games of Clue instead, and then follow it up by watching this classic. It's available of Netflix as we speak!

2. Arsenic and Old Lace
 Alisa and I were first introduced to Arsenic and Old Lace in play form when our Alma Mater (haha... man that gives BYU-I a lot of credit) put it on two Halloweens ago. We nearly died laughing... no really, they had to stop the play and call in some medics... OK, no, not really.  I then immediately found it on Netflix and fell in love. I was a little apprehensive to share it with Alisa because she isn't really a fan of black and white movies. However, she watched it with me the other night and loved it (although the Boris Karloff jokes did scare her a little ;) I think this is one of Cary Grants best performances. If you don't believe me, see for yourself. It is also available of Netflix!

1. Hocus Pocus
 I refuse to believe that anyone out there didn't know this movie was going to end this post. I further refuse to accept that anyone out there doesn't agree. This is probably the best Halloween movie ever and that includes movies that are solely designed to scare. Side note... do you realize how impossible it is to get this stinking soundtrack!? Seriously, the only one I've ever found is the one on Amazon that some dork is trying to sell for like $125!! You've been trying to sell that thing for like 5 years, ya weirdo! Give it up! Anyway, the movie is perfection. Literally when I think of Halloween this is the movie that I think of. It's so good I'm kind of sad that Halloween is only once a year!

2 comments:

  1. This kind of makes me want to watch Casper now! Why is it not on our "to watch" list? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arsenic and Old Lace wasn't my favorite at all but the Boy Meets World episode ROCKS! I also just watched Hocus Pocus recently. You guys should rent (or check out of a library) Rebecca and Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte. I think you'll like them A LOT!

    ReplyDelete