Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Iron Dude, A Green Guy, A Patriotic Man and a Norwegian walking into a bar...

I'll be honest, I have never read a comic book in my life. All I know about comic heroes are what I have seen in movies, Saturday morning cartoons, or from overly obsessed geek friends. This much I do know, Superhero's were meant to star in movies! A couple nights before the Avengers came out, I read a review that claimed that it was the Superhero movie to end all Superhero movies. This was a pretty tall order to me considering the fact that it faced three big problems: a) converging plot lines of movies I did like and ones I didn't, b) balancing comic book fiction with real-life plausibility, and c) living up to all the hype!


Did it succeed? I really think it did. Was it the movie to end all Superhero movies? No... and yes? Let's get started, class.

Converging Plots: Let me try to be brief:
Ironman 1 and 2: Loved them
 The Incredible Hulk: Way better than the first but still... it wasn't mind blowing
Captain America: Big fan, I've got the cards (Sorry, gotta watch the Avengers to get that one)
Thor: Really... am I the only one who wasn't a fan?!?


The truth is it takes a lot of skill to take this many loved heroes and throw them into one movie. I think I hated Thor because it seemed like if he's got all his powers, what can't the guy do theoretically, and since I'm a huge Ironman fan I would much rather seen Tony Stark kicking butt and taking names than the Norwegian homo (shout out to the Hancock fans). One of the biggest successes of the movie is that no matter who you are rooting for, you get your fill. Even better, since none of the heroes are team players at first, we get to see them rough each other up a little bit. Even though I'm a bigger fan of the "Man in the Suit" and the Captain, one of my favorite scenes was Thor versus the Hulk... sorry to give that away.

Not only that, but the plot line works. I would really suggests you see all the precursor movies because there are bits and pieces of them all in the Avengers. But even if you have missed one (like my wife) you'll still be able to bask in the glory. This leads to the second point of discussion.


Reality vs. Comic Fiction:
Another problem I had with Thor was that I felt they abandoned a formula that was really working for Superhero movies: try to make it realistic but throw in enough comic references to make the geeks snort into their popcorn while the rest of us are pleasantly confused. So how do you make a movie with a demigod hero and villain and a near indestructible... green thing realistic?! I don't have the answers, but the people who wrote the movie do because they scored big time here.

Naturally, there were a few scenes that made my cringe at the nerdiness washing over me, but they make up for that with complex discussions about things like nuclear deterrents mess with a heroes mind. The philosopher in me was pleased and the little kid that loved Saturday morning cartoons was fulfilled. Could Chris Nolan have done it better? Perhaps, but the comic fans may have lost something I really think this was the perfect balance.

And finally... Hype:
I think it goes with out saying that there was A LOT of hype with this movie. I mean, come on, I read an article that said it would be the end of all superhero movies!! I learned a long time ago that I have to control those expectations if I want to enjoy it. This is true of every movie, this one included. Did I love it? Yes, and was I expecting a lot? Yes. But I didn't get carried away! That's the key! ... Man, that's good. Life advice. I should needle point that on something...

The fight scenes were mind-blowing, the humor was hilarious and the plot compelling; you really have no right to be disappointed. But I wouldn't call it the end of all Superhero movies by any stretch of the imagination (especially with the Dark Knight Rises set to crap on the Avengers success). I could, however, see this being the end all for individual members of the Avengers. Where is the tension going to be in Ironman 3 if you realize Tony Stark can just call up Bruce Banner and say "Hey, I need you to come smash something real quick" ? The need for escalated tension will probably make this first Avengers movie the pinnacle for each plot line. In short, I'm scared they will ruin themselves trying to make a movie bigger than this one. But I won't lie... I'm excited for more!
  






1 comment: