Saturday, May 26, 2012

Reclaiming Uncle Tom


I once heard a story (probably apocryphal) where J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis had a conversation, and Lewis accused Tolkien of hiding his spiritual meanings too deeply in his stories. Tolkien replied that Lewis made them to blatantly obvious in his. Regardless of the story's truth it got me wondering, "Which is better, too overt or too covert? Or 'so overt that it’s covert?'" ;) I don’t think I can answer that question, but I will say that since the end of the 18th century, it appears we prefer the Tolkien style. In fact, it seems that we don’t just want it hidden, we want it buried so deep we can claim it’s not even there. Need proof? When the first Chronicles of Narnia movie came out, Disney tried to advertise that the story didn’t have a Christian theme! Riiiiiight... This book is why I think that should stop!

I first heard of Uncle Tom’s Cabin in The King and I. Yes, really, when I started reading it, the “Run, Eliza, Run” song kept getting stuck in my head. I also heard the book mentioned a few times in my Civil War class. What I have heard most often is in movies when people refer to someone as an Uncle Tom, it is always in a negative connotation.  If this is your only familiarity with the book…my GOSH you’re in for a treat.

I opened the cover expecting to read a story of a slave girl that runs away from her master, and a couple hundred pages later I’d be convinced slavery was bad so much so I’d be willing to start a Civil War. Don't get me wrong, that's in there, but there's so much more! This book is truly the full package: action, drama, romance, a little bit of the scary element, and, yes, religion! It is proof that religion doesn't need to be hid! I hope you guys don't mind if I get a little serious here.

First of all, I have never read a work of fiction that quotes the Bible so much, and, my gosh, does it feel good to the soul. I strongly believe that it took great skill to put so much religion into the book and not once make it seem preachy. But I think of Ms. Stow's skill was her creation of Uncle Tom. If anyone ever dares use that name around me again in a negative way, prepare to feel my righteous indignation. People seem to think ill of the phrase because it infers a flattering "yes man." That is NOT who Tom is. Uncle Tom is the ultimate Christian, a man who lives what he knows to be right. Throughout the story Tom suffers more than probably anyone who is reading this blog ever will. But through the trials and suffering, Tom treats black and white alike with respect, kindness, and genuine LOVE!

I'm man enough to admit that I cried when Tom cries for the salvation of his master; I was touched when in his hardest moment he comforted the slaves around him; and I yelled with pride when for the first time Tom disobeys his master, and it's because the master wants him to do something evil. See, if you can keep from cheering when he responds that he'll do anything his evil master asks him to do as long as it's not evil and explains that he may own his body, but he can't own his soul because it's already been bought and paid for. And even after the master releases all his fury, Tom prays for the man's salvation. My gosh, people don't write like that anymore. I weep for a society that turns a truly Christlike figure such as this into a insult. I'm truly sad that more people haven't read this book.

http://nationalera.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/fig-1.jpg
 
This week has been an interesting one for me. A good friend of Alisa and mine passed away this week. Michelle Crossan was one of the truly great people I knew in my life, and I'll miss her. Moreover, I also found out that my step Grandpa only has about two weeks left to live. As for my Grandpa, it's bittersweet; he's suffered a long long time, and I'm glad that he'll be able to find peace. Michelle's death is harder to come to grips with because it was so unexpected. My faith makes it so that I'm glad she is in a better place, but my heart breaks for her sister, whom I'm also close friends with. My eyes tear up just writing that. I dedicate this blog to both Michelle and Kristina.

I think there was divine direction in the fact that I finished this book at the beginning of a week like this. There is some much pain and suffering in the world and Uncle Tom's Cabin illustrates that over and over again. I can't explain why bad things happen, how people can hate so fiercely, or why death cuts so deeply at the hardest of times. But Uncle Tom's Cabin to me is a testimony about what is important. I promise you, that just like Tom says in the book, your soul is bought and paid for. This is one that loves you more than you know. I don't want to give too much away, but death is a very strong topic in this book. But so is how to deal with that sorrow.

No, we don't have slavery today in our country, but there's a deeper metaphor in this book. We still have evil, and we still have suffering. That is why Uncle Tom can still be our example today. Terrible things can happen around us, and we may want to give up and give into the grief. But we don't have that right. People depend on us and if we wont make the world a better place who will. Please be an Uncle Tom, comfort those around you, give peace to those that need it, have FAITH in something more than yourself, and fight evil til your last breathe. The greatest gift I can give to those that I've love who have passed on is a commitment to do this. A commitment to remember Uncle Tom's Cabin. Please... read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment