Monday, May 14, 2012

A Red Fern And A Mockingbird

It seems that most people would rather read about movies than books on blogs, but I don't care. This blog is personal and it really won't bother me if no one reads it at all. I began to love reading at a very early age. Like I've explained before, I simply love stories. I think for everyone that has truly loved reading from an early age there is one book. One book that takes you back and makes you feel the mystery and excitement of childhood all over again. Lucky for me I have two. 


Where The Red Fern Grows
I grew up in the middle of the woods. Like seriously, I spent my childhood running on dirt trails through a forest of trees (and I'm pretty sure I climbed every one of them). The experience was only made better by the fact that my dog, B.J., would follow me everywhere I went. No, literally... EVERYWHERE! There were a couple days I tried to sneak out without him seeing me leave. Sometimes I'd make it, but just when I thought I was free B.J. would be there sniffing after my trail. Sometimes I'd be so deep in the woods that I couldn't hear my mom calling for me. But B.J. could and he'd always start barking and nudging me to let me know. Man, I loved the woods, I loved that dog, and I loved my childhood.

If you haven't drawn the conclusion of why I love Where The Red Fern Grows, it's quite clear that you either haven't read it in a LONG time or haven't read it period. Either is an infraction that needs to be speedily rectified.

If there is any book that captures the spirit of adventure in youth it's this one. Whether it's the hunt for the 'phantom' coon or the epic show down with the mountain lion, this book appeals to the kid inside of us that is dying to have adventures. Reading it instantly makes me smell pine, hear birds chip, feel humidity on my skin, see green-laced sunlight and taste excitement. I think it's important that as we grow old we don't abandon the desire for adventures just because they feel different than anticipated. We start referring to them as trials and tribulations instead of what they are: adventures! Reread this book and remind yourself of the ADVENTURES that await you!

To Kill A Mockingbird
I can still remember the first time I read this book. I was instantly sucked in because of one character: Boo Radley. What is it about childhood that makes us so intrigued and excited about the thing that scares us the most? Perhaps it's because hidden in that thing that terrifies us is a mystery that we are dying to uncover. Too bad we can't keep that brave curiosity forever. But every time I read about Scout and Jem sneaking over to the Radley's house at night it excites the child in me, the one still searching for a mystery.

I wish I could go back to that time.There really is nothing that can compare with the amazement of childhood. I think that as time goes on the fear that once led us to search out a mystery turns into irrational loathing of the unknown. It's a shame really because it may lead us to miss out on a lot of Boo Radley's in our life.


Let's face it though, Boo Radley is just one metaphor for the real lessons of the book. The message, like all of us, grows with time. I strongly believe that there are evil forces in the world, evil inclinations in all of us. Hate may be the worst of them all. The saddest thing about it is that you can't fight hate. People are going to hate things that are different no matter what we do to try and stop that. All you can do is love that much harder to try and undue the effects of hate.

Atticus Finch will always be a hero of mine because he represents that struggle to undue the hate in life. I would like to say that things have changed since the time period of To Kill a Mockingbird, but they haven't. People hate--probably even more that they used to. They are just more clever in their justifications. It's not so much racism anymore, it's just out right hate for our fellow man and it seems like no one is free of it. Atticus is the reminder that we can't hate and stand up for the right thing at the same time. If we want to stand up for what we know to be right, we have to be free of hate. Otherwise... we're just killing mockingbirds.

If you haven't read this book... I pity you. If you haven't read it lately, how about you journey back to your childhood and pick it up!
_ _ _

In truth I don't think I want to be a scrawny little boy who gets picked on by his brothers and has a 9 o'clock bed time anymore. What I do want is live so that the excitement of childhood never leaves me... I think we could all use more of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment