Sunday, June 17, 2012

A Magic Beyond All We Do (Part Two)

Well, I hope you are all ready for another run because it's about to get epic. No really, like this is going to be a list of epic music. I know I said in my last post that the world moves really fast these days. But in some things (the things that really matter and take courage) we seem to be even more hesitant. So, this list of soundtracks is designed to get you off your romp and out to do some good. I know, I know, there are still some really great soundtracks that didn't get listed in my last blog of this one. I could only choose ten, people! There's just not enough time!! ;) That doesn't mean I'm still not looking for really great soundtracks you think I may not have heard of. By all means, send your suggestions.
"Enough talk, lets fight!" ;)

1. Requiem to a Tower
By Lux Aeterna 
This song is the definition of epic. Sadly, it is just a remix of the main score for "Requiem to a Dream" (Beautiful soundtrack but WAY depressing and a little trippy). Regardless, the score was reworked to serve as the trailer music for The Tower Towers (hence the name) with no intention of release. However, demand was so high that they finally gave in, and now you too can own the epoch inducing music. Just listen to it!! It makes me want to go... start a land war in Asia!!

2. Pirates of the Caribbean
By Klaus Badelt/Hans Zimmer...
"Drink Up Me Hearties"
Many of you may have been wondering why this wasn't in part one. Simple answer is that there is way more epic music on this soundtrack than peaceful. If I had to a rate a soundtrack just on its fit to the movie, this would be number one. Hans Zimmer takes the credit, but Klaus Badelt actually penned out the score for the first film (with Zimmer's help). The first three are incredible! The fourth was just a cheap trick of using score from the first three and adding a little Spanish guitar. Disappointed? Oh yeah. But it doesn't take away from the work of the first three. Honestly, I'd take time recommending other songs to listen to but it would be faster to just read the tracks in order ;)

3. Batman Begins/The Dark Knight 
By James Newton Howard!!/Hans Zimmer... 
"Molossus"
Oh yeah! James Newton Howard again! And... that Zimmer guy. It's proof that Zimmer's greatest work is only achieved working with true genius. Really, I don't need to say anything else here. It's epic and inspiring. Fun fact! All the pieces for the first soundtrack are called "Bat" just in different ways of saying it. For instance "Molossus" is the genus of bats. Pretty cool, huh?

4. Rudy
Jerry Goldsmith 
"Tryouts"
If you want to start the morning out right, you need to wake up to this every day. It's just a simple score but incredible all the same. It really makes you feel like you can achieve anything! Lucky for us, this isn't the only great piece on the soundtrack. The whole thing is inspiring. Don't believe me? Listen for yourself.

5. Hancock
By John Powell 
"Death and Transfiguration"
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to introduce you to the most underrated soundtrack of all time. When I first bought this, I anticipated it might gather dust on my shelf. I just liked the movie so much I wanted it. I then spent the next month listening to nothing else. If there are any runners out there here is my suggestion: Stay hydrated. My second suggestion is that your turn this on for your sprint at the end of a long run. Every time I do I can't believe what I can pull out of myself. Try it and you'll never doubt music is magical again.

6. Sherlock Holmes
By Hans Zimmer 
"The End?"
Now I know it may seem that I'm not a Hans Zimmer fan, but I am. I just think he's got John Williams reputation without his talent. That being said, he made the perfect soundtrack for a childhood hero... can't argue with that. This remake on "Discombobulate" for the first soundtrack is even more epic. Enjoy!

7. Star Wars
By John Williams 
"Duel of the Fates"
If you didn't see this one coming... what were you thinking? You're probably just shocked it wasn't on the list earlier. Let's be honest, the new Star Wars movies... pretty much crap. The soundtracks--still genius. This seems to be the theme song for the whole series now, and I don't hear anyone complaining. Completely epic! Who wants to have a "light saber" fight with wrapping paper rolls?! 

8. Shrek
Harry Gregson-Williams/ John Powell
"Escape from the Dragon"
I debated putting this one on the list. It really is a good soundtrack, but I feel like only this piece and one other qualify for top ten. Nonetheless, this song is epic much more so than the movie. If your wondering what the other piece is I'm referring to its "Fairytale," but it belongs on the peaceful list, not this one!

9. Avatar
James Horner 
"Jake's First Flight"
I hate to put this one on. Not because the soundtrack is anything less that incredible but because the movie is SO OVER RATED!! (Yes, I know it's one word, I did it for emphasis). I'm sure your probably familiar with this one because it was pretty popular after the movie came out. I also recommend you look into "Climbing up Iknimaya." It is equaling as inspiring.

10. The Time Machine
By Klaus Badelt
"The Eloi"
Okay, I have a confession. I am the only person in the world who loves this movie! I know that it's terrible, but I still love it! Don't judge me. But even though you have every right to hate the movie, I don't see how you do anything but love this soundtrack. I'm a huge Klaus Badelt fan and wish he had more work for me to enjoy. I strongly suggest you also look into "The Time Machine" and "I Don't Belong Here." Consider yourself inspired!
-----
So ends my quest to convert more people to love movie scores. I'm fully aware that everyone has different tastes, and I truly do love almost all forms of music. This was just my attempted to bring a little more happiness into your life, and, lucky for me, it coincidences with the theme of this blog. For me, this is our modern classical music, and I love it. If I was able to share something new with one person it was worth it! Happy listening! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment