Sunday, June 10, 2012

To Eliminate The Impossible


I was in sixth grade the first time that I picked up a copy of The Hound of the Baskervilles and was hooked. It's pretty impressive considering that I was most definitely a cat of the scaredy nature throughout all of my childhood. But from it I formed a new obsession: Sherlock Holmes. The Complete Set of Sherlock Holmes was the first book I ever bought with my own money. I was really impressed with myself because it was a personal fad I had created for myself with no other influence.
 
It became really bad when I started trying to emulate Holmes by observing and making ridiculous conclusion about it. "Oh! I see your wearing a gold Rolex! From that I can conclude...!!! That you like... to know the time!!!!" I think I showed real talent. Sherlock Holmes was my thing. I dressed like him for Halloween, I watched the old crappy black and white movies a lot--even though I knew they were terrible--I converted my wife to him and in our first year of marriage we celebrated Sherlock Holmes day on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's birthday. I even planned a movie franchise around him that would great! (In case you're wondering, I had Hugh Jackman in mind to play Sherlock). I even dedicated part of the name of this blog to Sherlock!! To make a long story short I have a fixation bordering on the fanatic.
When I heard there was a Sherlock movie coming out I was conflicted. At first, I felt real jealous rage at Guy Ritchie for making the movie I clearly called dibs on! In time, I may forgive him. But being the fan that I am the excitement overcame the apprehension. 

My wife and my's first date as an engaged couple was to go see the movie. By the end, I decided I liked it, but I didn't loved it. The second time I watched it, I did love it, and I gave the movie to my wife as part of a wedding gift. NERDY. Robert Downy Jr. was amazing, the Holmes/Watson relationship was perfect, the added action element worked, and, can I just say, the Hans Zimmer blew my mind! Oh, and that slow-mo fighting stuff!! Get out of town!! My only issue was that they hadn't used a real Sherlock story... and they took a lot of liberty with Irene Adler. Overall, obsession: satisfied.

Then they announced a second movie. I began the countdown instantaneously. Saw it, loved it, got the t-shirt! But then I started reading negative reviews about how the movie had ruined Sherlock Holmes and how true fans would be disappointed everywhere. One review even said that if you wanted a summary of the movie you could do so in one word, guns. Well, stupid critics, I am a true fan, and ya'll about to get a smack down... that you'll probably never read. 

This post was actually going to be my first post ever, but events prevented it, and I decided to wait until the movie came out on DVD. Yes, ladies and gentleman, that event occurs this week! Please contain your excitement for the remainder of the ride (Sorry, still in Disneyland mode). So, here's my suggestion. If you haven't seen the movie yet, repent! Go buy it Tuesday and come back when your ready to apologize ;) I only say that cause there are some spoilers to follow.


Let's start with the obvious. This movie is more true to the book than the first. PERIOD. The second they said Moriarty would be this movie's villain, I dared to hope the ending would match the book's conclusion. I had been waiting for that particular story to be done cinematically for years! In the book, Sherlock and Moriarty meet up at scenic overlook at the top of a waterfall. Sherlock has already exposed Moriarty to the police, and Moriarty has sworn revenge. He lets Holmes write a note explaining what happened, and we're left to believe that they both fell over the falls and died. 

We are left like that! Believing that Holmes is dead! In fact, to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle he was dead, but so many people complained that he wrote another story explaining that Holmes wrestled Moriarty over the cliff but had survived himself and hid in a cave to make people believe he was dead. The reason for this was because Moriarty's right hand man was a expert marksman that also wanted to kill Holmes. In order to catch the marksman, Holmes pretend to be dead so he could set a trap.
It's hard to do that exact thing in film, especially if you want another movie. If you leave people believing he's dead that illusion is thrown out the door as soon as you hear Sherlock Holmes 3... He's kind of the title character remember. Furthermore, it's anti-climatic to have Watson just come in a read a note! So that means Holmes actually has to be in danger and Watson has to see that. Hence why Holmes actually has to go over the falls. A stretch yes, but a needed one. I loved the ended and you should to. At least you're not a devastated teenager thinking his hero died!

Second, the guns. Hey, remember how I said Moriarty's right hand man is an expert marksman, and therefore actually more dangerous to Holmes? Well, that necessitates the need FOR GUNS! If I counted right, the last time I watched the movie I think there are four scenes with guns in them. Really... that's overwhelming to the movie? Granted there is a AWESOME scene using slow-mo action involving a lot of gun and canon fire but considering it's one of the coolest battle scenes I've seen on film I'm going forgive Mr. Ritchie for his AWESOMENESS!!
I didn't hear anyone complain when Ritchie added black magic and cults into the Holmes series with the first movie but when it comes to guns... woah... that's to far! This critic complained that Moriarty wasn't a gun runner in the book. He's right, Moriarty was just a well-entrenched, powerful, street thug. Sorry if I'm willing to accept that small change. He further complains that at the end were led to believe that Moriarty and Holmes can talk telepathically. No, we aren't, but apparently the critic doesn't know anything about cinematic art and metaphor.

I know it's silly, but Sherlock Holmes feels like a part of me. I've grown up with him. Are the movies spot on with the books? Not at all. But it's an interpretation of the director. The magical thing about books is you can imagine things the way you want. It's only natural everyone else pictures it different than you. I love the books and I love the movies! So do yourself a favor, go rent or buy the movie, and then get your bum out there and read the stories too! There's tons of short stories that you can read in less than 30 minutes. As for me, I'm going be hoping that the third movie involves a hound from Baskerville. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment