Saturday, June 16, 2012

A Magic Beyond All We Do

When was the last time that someone asked you your favorite kind of music? I find that question to be a slight irritation, not because I hate music or answering it per-say, but because the conversation inevitably goes like this, "Hey, what's your favorite kind of music?" (Thought process: Oh, geez, here we go.) "Um, I like soundtrack music" "OH! Like musicals?!" "No, no like classical music," "Oh! Like... Beethoven?" (Thought process: Yeah, I loved Beethoven's work for Pirates of the Caribbean... REALLY!) "No... like the classical music they play in the background of movies." "Oh... that's cool.. Hey, Alisa, I forgot to tell you..." Regardless it should come as no surprise that the soundtrack of my life would consist of... well, the soundtracks of movies. Love them, can't enough of them, so guess what that means for you? That's right, another top ten list.

Our world moves too fast, people. Seriously, recall your day and try to remember a moment you spent just thinking and unwinding. For me, I try to make it a daily practice, and the thing that helps the most is--yup, you guessed it--soundtrack scores. It's amazingly therapeutic to put this music on and think about life. The following list are ten soundtracks that I recommend, highlighting just one song that will help you relax, unwind, or even fall into a peaceful sleep if ya need help with that kind of thing.

1. Lord of the Rings
By Howard Shore 
"Samwise The Brave"
I have to put this one first seeing how these were the soundtracks that started it all for me. As far as soul soothing goes, if you have a music editor you might want to cut the last minute or so off. Obviously, you love it because who doesn't, but just in case you aren't intimately familiar with the work of Howard Shore (I know, ridiculous) I also suggest you look into "Evenstar" and "Twilight and Shadow" if ya need a little help relaxing.

2. Harry Potter
By John Williams/Patrick Doyle/Nicholas Hooper/Alexandre Desplat
"Lily's Theme"
If you just listened to that, you really don't need to read this. It's probably the most hauntingly beautiful piece in the world. It's incredible that these movies got not only one but four fantastic composers and they each added to the one before. I'd also suggest you look into "A Window to the Past," "Harry in Winter," "Harry and Hermione," and "Ron Leaves." All will help you sleep like a baby.

3. How to Train Your Dragon
By John Powell 
"Forbidden Friendship"
This soundtrack, as well as the movie, surprised me beyond belief. The music truly is phenomenal. It's amazing how a great soundtrack gives a soul to a movie and this piece of work by John Powell is proof of that. I also recommend you find "Romantic Flight." 

4. Braveheart
By James Horner 
"The Princess Pleads For Wallace's Life"
Regardless of whether or not you've seen the movie, this soundtrack may just change your life if you haven't heard it before. There are so many dynamic and intricate tones; you have to listen to the whole thing to really fall in love. This is just a small sample to get you hooked. I also recommend "For the Love of a Princess" and "Sons of Scotland."

5. Stardust
By Ilan Eshkeri 
"Tristan & Yvaine"
This was the first work I had ever heard from this composer, but I was instantly a fan. This is one that my wife and I love equally. It kinda sounds like love turned into music, right? You're right, I'm right. Take a listen to relax and then check out the rest of the soundtrack.

6. Peter Pan
By James Newton Howard 
"Fairy Dance"
 Now dear friends, we enter into the brilliance, the excellence, and the genius that is James Newton Howard. It's hard not to play favorites, but, man, this guy writes the most unique and diverse music you've ever heard. If this is your first sample, you're welcome. If you already a fan... you're welcome. ;)

7. The Village
James Newton Howard 
"Rest To Resting Rock"
I don't care if you loved or hated the movie, the score is incredible! The violinist on this soundtrack is probably the best I've ever heard. This song has got to be in the soundtrack of my life. If you're looking to feel a little peace put this whole CD on, just skip "Those We Don't Speak Of" and "It's Not Real."

8. Tuck Everlasting
By William Ross 
"First Swim"
OK, I used to like this movie, but recently I think not so much. But that's just proof that movies scores are an art form all on their own and can stand alone without the movie. This soundtrack just happens to be my wife's favorite. and I can't give it a higher compliment than that. ;) The downside? Good luck finding a copy of your own, they are scarce and expensive. Thank goodness for YouTube!

9. The Last Airbender
By James Newton Howard 
"Flow Like Water"
This makes the point that I made with the last soundtrack even better. Regardless if you loved it or hated it.... forget that! If you liked this movie, I pity you. But if you don't like this soundtrack, I pity you even more. This is another that you'll need to trim off the last minute of for a relaxing evening. For all those who do Ti-Chi out there, this is a prefect song to do it to!

10. King Kong
By James Newton Howard 
"Beautiful"
By this point you have probably seen my clear bias considering that James Newton Howard is on here four times. Put simply, he's the best! Period! (Isn't it odd that we usually put an exclamation point after the word period?) Regardless, I know that you now love him just as much as me, so you are forgiven if you accused me of prejudice to begin with ;) This song matches it's title perfectly! I also recommend you take a listen to "Beauty Killed the Beast pt. 5."
-----
Well there ya go, and you're welcome for the good night sleep, relaxing bath, or de-stress session. Now, for all the amazing soundtracks out there, there are probably at least a few that I don't know of. If you do know about them feel free to inform me because I'm always looking for more. However, before you fellow fans get upset because I skipped a personal favorite, save the dyspepsia til you see the follow-up coming shortly. Stay tuned for the epic and inspiring music to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment